Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year, New Ideas

OK, so maybe my title is a little misleading. I make it sound like this post will be about New Year's and resolutions and other goofy things like that and honestly, it won't be. Actually what this post is about is first and foremost me neglecting my blog. I haven't written in a decent while, although I did attempt a doomed dabbling in my sports blog. I think the problem there was it was technically too generalized, but at the same time all I was speaking about were bowl games. Also, I was a bit too lazy with it. I'm thinking about changing it over to a BYU sports blog, but we'll see. Also, I need to get cracking on the 203 blog, but I guess we'll see how that goes because I'm not planning on putting anything more into that than anybody else does. So that means if I start posting and nobody else contributes, I will probably just let it die. Pretty pathetic on both accounts, I know.

But there is reason for me to hope. As I think everybody knows by now, I really like the news. I keep up on it heavily and am always posting articles to my wall on Facebook and such. Well, over the break there was mostly a dearth of news (I wrote a status update about it). I mean seriously, the most exciting thing was what flavor of shaved ice was Barack Obama's favorite. That's really started changing for a large part more recently. Now there's Blagojevich, Burris (which is partially the same thing, but there is more to it than that), Israel-Palestine, and various other topics. Something I see different about a lot of these types of topics: They are great for discussion. I love posting quirky news but a lot of that comes at face value. Also, certain topics are so politically loaded (e.g. abortion, the environment, and presidential candidates) that I feel like the sides are drawn and no useful discussion is really going to flow from it. However, I feel like in a lot of these cases (maybe not Israel-Palestine as much) things are a bit more neutral or most people are on the same side (or maybe neither and it's more of a fence-sitter kind of thing), but there are still interesting ideas to be discussed. So with this I'm going to start exploring these topics in posts and hopefully getting some good discussion going. I guess that's probably all presumptuous because that would require a reading base and I really don't have one. I guess there's always potentially hope and no harm in trying. But we'll see how it goes. I'm going to approach topics in a particular order, but that's mostly because of the time in which I see the issue as either falling out of the news or being resolved. So really it's not because I value one more than another or find anything more interesting. I find them all very interesting and this was mostly sparked by a good discussion I had with my good friend Jordan about some of these topics. But we'll see where it all goes from here.

No comments: