Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Top 25 Picks Week 6

Polls were released yesterday after a really crazy weekend for the Top 25. I didn't think I'd ever be excited that BYU had a bye with where they were ranked. I went into the weekend completely convinced we would fall in the polls, especially since I knew Penn State would jump us. I'm ecstatic that we're 8 for not having played this past week. But yeah, some crazy upsets from last week. There were 6 byes last week and I missed 6 picks, 3 of those were Top 10 picks. I don't think anybody in their right mind can pick an unranked team to beat a Top 10 team under most circumstances. If you look at my comments on USC and Florida from last week, those upsets didn't really surprise me. That being said, I can't deny I got them wrong and my Wisconsin pick turned out to be ugly. Beautiful 4th Quarter for the Wolverines. I am definitely going to give myself a pat on the back for the Alabama pick, of course I was kind of disappointed when Corso had the same pick as me on College Gameday. Also, there were 6 Top 25 teams that played each other. So out of the number of games I picked, I went 10-6 for picks last week. Not incredibly pretty, but I'll take it. Here's this week's Top 25:

AP Top 25
1. Oklahoma (43) 4-0 1,599
2. Alabama (21) 5-0 1,565
3. LSU 4-0 1,466
4. Missouri (1) 4-0 1,453
5. Texas 4-0 1,362
6. Penn State 5-0 1,252
7. Texas Tech 4-0 1,105
8. Brigham Young 4-0 1,098
9. USC 2-1 1,087
10. South Florida 5-0 1,035
11. Georgia 4-1 1,018
12. Florida 3-1 914
13. Auburn 4-1 860
14. Ohio State 4-1 829
15. Utah 5-0 713
16. Kansas 3-1 650
17. Boise State 3-0 549
18. Wisconsin 3-1 520
19. Vanderbilt 4-0 459
20. Virginia Tech 4-1 290
21. Oklahoma State 4-0 277
22. Fresno State 3-1 232
23. Oregon 4-1 199
24. Connecticut 5-0 126
25. Wake Forest 3-1 107

Here's my breakdown:
1. Oklahoma @ Baylor: Sooners. Yeah, they're way freaking good. Stoops is a lot like the "Sweater Vest" though, he finds a way to lose some big ones.
2. Kentucky @ Alabama: Roll Tide! I love me the Crimson Tide. They're pretty amazing and maybe that's because Sabin is hellbent. Either way, he coaches a good team and Kentucky doesn't stand a chance.
3. LSU: Bye.
4. Missouri @ Nebraska: Missouri. Chase Daniel is my Heisman pick and I think he's getting another victory this week.
5. Texas @ Colorado: Texas. Did you see how bad Colorado was against FSU?
6. Penn State @ Purdue: Penn. This is a ridiculous good team and good things will continue to come.
7. Texas Tech @ Kansas State: Tech. This will be their first real test, so we'll see if they truly are good. I think K-State is a bit undervalued as well. That being said, I don't think they've got what it takes to beat this talented Red Raider offense.
8. BYU @ USU: Do you know what school I go to?!?!? USU escaped ESPN's Bottom 10 this week, but they've been regulars (3 out of 5 weeks and the preseason).
9 & 23. Oregon @ USC: Trojans. Why are the Ducks even ranked? Seriously! Didn't they just grab some random guy from the stands to play QB for them? I feel bad for them because they've definitely had some rough luck, but at the same time I can't believe how much losing a QB has killed them.
10. Pitt @ South Florida: South Florida. I hate this pick because I've seen what Pitt can do. That being said, South Florida is a respectable team playing at home, gotta go with that.
11. Georgia: Bye.
12. Florida @ Arkansas: Gators. The Razorbacks are pretty lousy and Florida is seeking blood.
13 & 19. Auburn @ Vanderbilt: War Eagles/Tigers. The Commodores get their first test. I'd say "real test" but if you've seen how bad that Auburn offense is you'll understand why I don't. That being said, they aren't so hot either, but it should be yet another tight game for Auburn.
14 & 18. Ohio State @ Wisconsin: Buckeyes. This team is going to keep playing strong and Wisconsin definitely doesn't have what it takes.
15. Oregon State @ Utah: Utes. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. The Utes are respectable and I can't deny it and the Beavers haven't been other than whatever team showed up to play last week. That being said, I can't believe the Beavers didn't get a bit more love and actually break in to the Top 25 beating the #1 team in the nation. Anybody else not get that logic?
16. Kansas @ Iowa State: Kansas. Neither of these teams are really that good. Kansas is sorely over ranked, but Iowa State lost to a far too highly touted UNLV team. UNLV is really bad and they couldn't hold their own.
17. Louisiana Tech @ Boise State: Broncos. They're playing a not so great team on the blue monster. Need I say more?
18. See #14.
19. See #13.
20. Virginia Tech: Bye. Man, how'd these guys sneak in their? They're lucky it's a bye week, that'll keep em in longer than they probably would have been.
21. Texas A&M @ Oklahoma State: Oklahoma State. Another team I'm surprised snuck it's way into the Top 25, but the Aggies really aren't any good.
22. Hawaii @ Fresno State: Fresno State. Home game against a team who's only win is Weber State. They shouldn't be too concerned.
23. See #9.
24. UConn @ North Carolina: Huskies. I'm reasonably impressed with the way they play and it seems like the ball really bounces their way. Bet we'll see some more of that this week.
25. Wake Forest: Bye. Rough week for the bye, they'll be out of the Top 25 short of Divine Intervention.

No comments: